melanirobison

The Reading Jackalope

Handcuffed to the Bear: BBW Paranormal Bear Shifter Romance (Shifter Agents Book 1) - Lauren Esker Fairly formulaic romance squeezed into a decent thriller plot. I liked it. I have some really little nit-picky details that bothered me enough I still remember them this morning.

The first is that I really do hate the trope in romance where the guy is so 'damaged and evil' that he leaves the woman for her own good. It's never permanent and mostly used to create tension, a false sense of tension. And tension his book didn't really need. Plus it's a manipulative way to create both sympathy for the male lead and also show how much he cares for the female lead. This book was pretty light handed with the trope, but it was there and I rolled my eyes.

The second bothered me a bit more, because it has to do with bone structure and how cat and human bone structure differs. See these two shifters are handcuffed together. Now the bear shifter can't shift because the handcuff would probably cut off his bear paw, as the size difference is too great. This makes sense. It is good logic. However the woman is a lynx shifter and she does shift. And this is where it bothers me.

The reason handcuffs work is that they close around the wrist and are unable to slip off the hand because of the bone structure in a human hand. The thumb, and where it's positioned essentially stops the handcuff from going any further. There are people who can slip handcuffs off by dislocating the thumb, pushing the dislocated thumb up against the palm, and then slipping the cuff over.

A feline wrist/hand structure is not the same as a humans. For starters they walk on what would correspond to human fingers, and their 'thumb' is almost non-existent. The handcuff, should have been able to slip over that little nub while she was in lynx form, even if her paws her huge, and then whens he switched back to human form the handcuff would have been encircling her palm, and thus easy to slip off. Especially as a lynx is a fairly small wild cat. It is such a teeny detail, but it bothered me quite a bit.