melanirobison

The Reading Jackalope

A Meeting at Corvallis

A Meeting at Corvallis - S.M. Stirling I like the idea of this novel/series better then the execution. And to be honest this is really more of a, "read the first half then the last ten pages and figured out the in between stuf" then an actual complete read. But I'm counting it.

a. The character of Juniper Mackenzie is directly based on Heather Alexander This wouldn't bother me so much, except it's more of a, "look how cool I am for including this person cause she's just the coolest thing EVER" In other words it's kinda like reading a story in which the person has included his friends and left out the part where they are actual flawed people.

b. The speed at which society adapts to the Change. Not the end of the world stuff, no more technologies thing, the societal changes. The big bad, and you know he's the big bad cause he enslaves people and rapes women (mentioned occasionally and can I tell you how tired I am of this fantasy trope. Yes those are bad things, very bad, but could you have a villain that maybe didn't do either? Please?), has set up a feudal type society. With peasants and everything. Now this particular book is set five years after the Change, when electricity and gunpowder stopped working, and in the northwestern US. I'm just supposed to believe that American citizens just went along with this? Now this really isn't dealt with in the novels, because he's not the focus, but I have a hard time believing he didn't have several 'peasant uprisings' to contend with. Sure the writer asserts that hungry people are more subduable, but um... I just don't buy it.

c. It's kinda boring. And I'm not sure why. Partly I think because the battles/strategies that are a large part of the book are not my cup of tea. And really, if I can figure out the middle parts of the book from reading the first half and the last 10 or so pages, there are some problems. Ok, so I do this a lot, and I am frequently able to figure out the middle parts, but if I don't care to go back and actually read what happens, then there is a problem.

The things I like, and mean I'd probably read the next one if I can get it in the library: The characters. Once you get past the whole "I'm so cool for including this person" thing with Juniper Mackenzie, I really do like the people here. And I do like the idea of people trying to survive after technology stops working.