melanirobison

The Reading Jackalope

Dorothy And the Wizard in Oz

Dorothy And the Wizard in Oz  - L. Frank Baum I don’t like this one as much as I remembered, possibly because I haven’t read it in a while, but this one really suffered on the re-read. There are some things I remember about the book that aren’t actually in the book at all, scenes I remember being quite long are short little one or two paragraphs. (Most notably, when Dorothy and the Wizard rescue the vegetable princess, I remember quite a long scene where they have to sneak out to pick her and then she thanks them and a dangerous moment as she confronts her predecessor, but no it’s so much shorter then that.) My youthful imagination filled in a lot of details. Without those details, the book doesn’t have quite the depth.

There’s also the fact that I really don’t like the way the citizen’s of OZ treat Jim the horse. Granted, he’s not exactly polite to the sawhorse, but I do wish they’d treated him better, he’s an old horse, and I suppose in a land where nothing ages they can’t understand that. Also, I’m pretty sure Baum doesn’t really like cats. I like Eureka, though she’s very cat like, but the personality-less pigs are given preference over her because they’re tiny and cute. Bleh. All in all the citizens of OZ don't come off looking very good here. Possibly a byproduct of the fact that Baum was getting tired of OZ, or at least so his introductions indicate.

I confess I skipped most of this book this time around.