melanirobison

The Reading Jackalope

In the Night Garden

In the Night Garden - Catherynne M. Valente Lovely. I loved the nestled stories, each rich and lovely on their own but also part of the greater story. The story crafting is masterful and the language is beautiful, but what I loved most of all was the unexpectedness of it. Female characters were front and center and each one was not quite the expected type.

I do think that once I've finished with the second book though that I'll want to go back and create some sort of timeline for all the stories, just so I can make sure I really do grasp everything that is going on. A net to show exactly how each character fits into the greater story and the lines that connect them all.

I think that's what I love most about this book, the way that the characters are all interconnected, how each story influences the others in ways miniscule and great. It makes the stories seem both great and small, the way our own life stories are.

I really admire Valente’s ability at story crafting. Her deft twists and unexpected turns are a joy to read, and this book is an excellent example of that. It is a book to be savored and enjoyed.