melanirobison

The Reading Jackalope

Order of The Rose: Forsaken Petal (Volume 1)

Order of The Rose: Forsaken Petal (Volume 1) - Joshua D. Hoyt Recieved from a goodreads giveaway in exchange for a review. There is a kernel of a good story here, but it badly, badly needs a content editor not just a copy editor. There is a reason I don't normally read self published novels and the lack of both a copy and content editor is that reason. There are a lot of plot holes and awkward scene pacing moments. And I wouldn't have minded all of those problems and graded higher on a curve, if I hadn't run across a plot point that is one of the most mysogynistic plot points I've read in a while. See, men just had the magic, no explination they just had magic. But because they got power hungry they gave it to women. Yes, something about possessing a penis lets you have magic but women (as a sex) have to be gifted with it. And then, as a second insult, after learning this a female character exlaims in delight how cool that is because now we know where enchantresses come from. Because of course women don't naturally posses magic, that's men's stuff. Nope, nope, nope.