melanirobison

The Reading Jackalope

Naturally Sweet Food in Jars: 100 Preserves Made with Coconut, Maple, Honey, and More - Marisa McClellan A few notes on the structure of the book, as that's one of the draws for cookbooks. The book has no slipcover, the image I posted here is printed onto the hardcover of the book. I like this because I find slipcovers just tend to get damaged when dealing with cookbooks. As for what's inside, I find it to be a nice balance between gorgeous pictures of the finished product and the pretty clear recipes. The pages are on the thicker side meaning they're less likely to tear as you flip through the book. It has a strong binding, and the pages feel like they will stay open on the page I want with only a little assistance. They're not glossy either, which I'm kind of iffy on. It means they won't wipe easily if you spill something on them, but neither will they reflect light and become hard to read. All in all, it's a sturdy little book and definitely feels like it could stand up to the rigors of a kitchen. I mention all of this because I think these are all important factors when considering buying a cookbook. Nothing is more annoying then a cookbook that won't stay open when you're trying to make something from it.

The book has seven sections, and starts with an introduction to canning chapter. Which means that if you've never picked up a canning book (or never canned before) this book contains enough information to get you started. I think the procedures she lays out in this introductory chapter are fairly easy to follow so if you're looking to get into canning but don't want to buy a book full of sugar-heavy recipes, this is a good one to pick up.

After the introductory chapter the other six chapters are each dedicated to a different sugar. So the first chapter is honey based canning recipes, the second is maple sugar/maple syrup based, and so it goes. While most canning books are laid out in seasons, as her previous books are, I like this format here as the purpose of the book is to explore canning with different sugars and thus highlight those sugars. In addition to the actual canning recipes, she includes a few (not many) recipes that use the canning product. I'm particularly interested in trying the fruit butter granola. However, in addition to these recipes she includes a brief "I like to use this product this way" in her introductory paragraph before each recipe. For someone like me, who often cans because it's super fun but then has no idea what to do with the finished product, these paragraphs are immensely useful.