melanirobison

The Reading Jackalope

The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1)

The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) - Rick Riordan I’m sorry I was mad at the author for putting this out instead of the next book in the Kane Chronicles. I mean, I’m still mad that the next Kane Chronicles isn’t out RIGHT NOW, but not that this book came out. I wasn’t going to read this book, Percy Jackson and his story was wrapped up, the gods had faced the Titans and won, what other story was there to tell? Well, I got told. I am so in love with the idea of Gia, the scary earth mother rising and the quest to put her back to sleep is just awesome. As for the characters? Leo broke my heart every time it was his chapter, his whole story and how he wanted so badly to belong but was terrified of rejection. Piper was really fun, and I’m glad Riordan made the point that Aphrodite is a very powerful goddess and not just the shallow boy-crazy maiden she’s sometimes made out to be. Also, I kind of love Piper for her reaction to the word ‘half-blood’, because she’s right it is an ugly word in our society. I think that was Riordan’s response to those who criticized him for using that word. Jason was um… ok? I’m not sure if it was the fact that he didn’t have his memories or what, but he kind of came across as rather bland. Fortunately the whole story wasn’t told from his point of view, and we did get some glimpses that indicate he’s very different from the Greek half-bloods.

At any rate, now I’m waiting for TWO books from Riordan.